Sunday, March 29, 2009

for farewells

A weekend full of good friends - new and old - beautiful music, long, tumble weed invested drives to richfield, library excursions, and practicing sure does make for quite the wonderful weekend. But mostly, it was just great to see so many friends this weekend.
Practicing went well, though discouragment took it's course again, and to certain people...sorry...but i got a lot done. Jaron and Racheal, met Nick and I at the university and we headed down to the downtown library which was...big as usual. It's so intimidating to me and I've decided to not go there again unless I have a game plan. Any particular books/authors anyone suggests? I ended up getting two books. "Surprised by Joy" by CS lewis, which i'm supra exicted for and "1984" by George Orwell, which i hear is really really frustrating...but we'll see.
Crown burgar was our next distination and we had a good old time joking and eating an insane amount of grease. Mmmhmmm..my favorite.
The utah symphony was next, as we crazy college kids walked in, me in shorts and nick in a t-shirt. We got a few not so discret looks from the elderly, probably wondering how the youth of today has such little respect for such an art. Well, jeans or not, the symphony was fabulous. Korngold's Violin Concerto was my favorite part. The soloist was playing so hard she broke the string but her stage presence was superb! It didn't even phase her. The second violinist just pulls out another string and they started the third movement over. The Charles Ives section was interesting but did make me giggle several times. Particularly the last piece, "Variations on 'America'". I liked his piece about the meaning of life as well, but you might just have to do your own research on that one.
I wasn't feel well at all after the concert so Nick drove me home. Besides Ember Dawn was waiting and I felt bad when I walked in and told her I was going to bed and went to sleep. But it was needed, because we had an early morning.
We got up and were out of here at eight thirty to head to Richfield to a dear friend's farewell. Matt Palmer has been called to the Omaha Nebraska mission. Those lucky Nebraskans! Matt is a wonderful person and I'm so excited for him and he is enthusastic himself. I got to see Melissa Rowley and Keith also. We talked and laughed and shared stories and talked and laughed some more. It was a wonderful time!
I would love to talk about this more, however, bed is calling me and my eyes are really tired so...till next time...

PS I speak on May 31st, case anyone's interested.

1 comment:

  1. That symphony was amazing :) That whole day was just great. I enjoyed it.

    1984 is difficult, and it's not always the most fun to read, but if you get all the way through it and really think about it, it's SO worth it. By the end of the book, you should basically be able to understand how 2 + 2 might equal 5. It's mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete